Friday 10 January 2014

Letter to the Post re 20mph

Dear Sir

It is great to see the rollout of 20mph start to go ahead across the City. It is something we in the Green Party have been campaigning for since the 1990's, so to see it finally come to fruition is excellent news (although it has to be said, more elected Greens would mean more of 'this kind of thing'!).

Where I live in Southville, we have had 20mph for a couple of years now, and you really do notice the slower speeds that most motorists now adopt. In fact, I find I am still adjusting to the additional time I have to cross the road when I see a car coming. It has proven to be good news for people shopping on North St, good news for parents taking their children to school, good news for cyclists. Good news for the community as a whole, in fact.

I understand the frustration of motorists who just want to drive through an area as quickly as possible, but it is our home and it is great to see most motorists adhering to the limit. It does however come as no surprise to see the cynics who see anything that slows the motorist by even a small amount as some how to be resented. I'd just point out that we all live somewhere, and we all want the best for our families and local communities. As such, I urge motorists to obey the new slower speed limits. I ask them to respect them, and who knows, you might even start to like them.


Yours


Charlie Bolton
Green Party candidate for Southville

No comments:

Post a Comment