Tuesday 11 February 2014

Statement to Council scrutiny committee re RPS

I have submitted the following statement to the council's Sustainable Development Scrutiny commission. In it, I ask them, in considering the report of a Residents parking working group, to weight any cuts in costs of permits that they can make (from having a 10 year rather than a 7 year payback period) to those on low incomes.
 
 
 
Residents parking working group report

I note with interest the report of the Residents Parking Working Group and in particular note the statement
 
'It was felt that by extending the repayment time back to the original 10 years for the inner scheme that the price
could be dropped for residents within the inner zone'
 
My understanding of this is that you are proposing a drop in the price for a basic permit from £48 to whatever level you can achieve.
 
I would like to suggest that you further  refine this, and target any drop in price towards those on lower incomes.

I'm sure it is obvious to you that those on low incomes are less able to pay a £48 fee than those who aren't, and presume a greater saving for those on low incomes may be available. I'd hope you will also agree that targetting any saving towards those on low incomes is the most equitable way to go.

I therefore urge you to include it in any recommendations you make.
 
Yours

No comments:

Post a Comment